Marriage Green Card Guide: Living Abroad and Married to a U.S. Green Card Holder

Step-by-step guide for how you can bring your spouse to the United States with a green card


If you are a green card holder (U.S. permanent resident) married to a foreign national who lives outside the United States, this article is for both of you! We’re going to go through the process of obtaining a marriage-based green card, step by step. (If your circumstances differ, see our other Start-to-Finish marriage green card guides, each explained in plain English.)

Estimated time: Three years or more (35-39 months) to obtain green card
Estimated cost: $1,200 (government fees only)