Green Cards for Spouses of U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

Step-by-step guide for how you can bring your spouse to the United States with a green card

Overview of the "Consular Filing" Process

If you are a U.S. citizen married to a foreign national who is living abroad, this guide is for both of you—we’ll go step by step through the process of getting your marriage green card. This type of green card application process is also commonly called “Consular Filing.”

(If your circumstances are different, check out this overview of the marriage-based green card process, explained in plain language.)

Costs and timeline

Estimated time: 11-16 months to obtain green card
Estimated cost: $1,200